5 Life-Changing CPR Stories

chimpanzee seated in zoo enclosure
When 38 year old chimpanzee, Ockie, collapsed at Rockhampton Zoo, one female chimp began pumping her hands on his chest, in exactly the right place over his heart

CPR – cardiopulmonary resuscitation – done properly and without delay, saves lives.

Browsing news stories related to CPR reveals people from around the world, calling on their knowledge of first aid to resuscitate another person in need.

Mother Saves 1 Year Old Son, Sydney Australia

Sydney mum, Kristy Arnold, had just seconds to act after her one-year-old son Luca choked on a biscuit and stopped breathing.

Kristy had completed a CPR first aid training course that equipped her with the skills she needed to save her son.

Veterinarian Saves Crash Victim, Massachusetts USA

Veterinarian, Kevin Kuhn, had performed CPR on animals numerous times but never on a person.

That is, until the day he came across a man who had crashed his car. When Kevin checked, the unfortunate driver had no pulse. Acting quickly, Kevin began chest compressions until an officer arrived on the scene with a defibrillator.

The man was taken to hospital shortly after where he maintained a stable condition.

Chimp Tries to Resuscitate Her Friend, Rockhampton Australia

Are we the only ones who see the value of CPR in medical emergencies? It appears we are not alone.

At Rockhampton Zoo, chimpanzees gathered around the prone body of 38 year old chimp, Ockie.

Autopsies were to reveal that he died from a heart-related condition. But, zookeepers at the scene found the other trying to nudge him awake.

One female chimpanzee – Holly – began pumping her hands on Ockie's chest, in exactly the right place over his heart. Staff wondered whether or not, at some time, Holly had witnessed paramedics performing CPR on an ill person.

22 Year Old UK Girl Saved, Australia

UK student Paige Hurley was working as a waitress in Australia when she suddenly collapsed due to an underlying heart condition.

A doctor, in the restaurant at the time, performed CPR worked while someone volunteered to retrieve a defibrillator from the adjacent shopping centre. After following the simple steps provided by the AED (automated external defibrillator), Paige’s life was saved.

Drummer’s Life Saved by CPR, Alaska USA

High school drummer, Robbie Lewis, had just walked off stage at a jazz festival when he dropped to the ground.

His heart had stopped.

Fellow student Sarah Maffe acted quickly upon finding Robbie's lifeless form and immediately began performing CPR. Sarah had learned CPR as a lifeguard in Palmer. With the help of Carey Werlein, a nurse, and paramedics who arrived shortly after, Robbie Lewis survived the ordeal and was able to get behind his drumkit again.

More articles

why-parents-should-learn-cprCPR Training for Parents
why-and-when-to-use-a-defibrillatorWhy and When to Use a Defibrillator?
CPR illustrationLearning CPR
How to perform CPR Adults and Older ChildrenHow CPR is performed on adults & older children
chimpanzee seated in zoo enclosure5 Lives Changed by CPR
Cutaway diagram showing chest under CPR compressionsWhat is Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation?
How to perform CPR PregnancyHow CPR is performed on a pregnant person
How to perform CPR InfantsHow CPR is performed on Infants
How to perform CPR ChildrenHow CPR is performed on a child

Recently published

Infographic on New Geelong Training CentreWe Have a New Geelong Training Location
Infographic on Differences between Strokes and Seizures Is it a Stroke or a Seizure?
Infographic Showing the Risk Factors of StrokeWhat's Your Stroke Risk?
Infographic Showing Three Different Types of Stroke Different Types of Stroke
first-aid-for-bee-stingsFirst Aid for Bee Stings
Infographic of Teacher Demonstrating Stroke First Aid to StudentsNational Stroke Week 2022
Infographic on What is Mad Cow DiseaseAll About Mad Cow Disease
acid-reflux-chart-coverAcid Reflux First Aid Chart
Infographic on how to get mental health care plan Mental Health Care Plan
Infographic on the Australian Bat Lyssavirus Rabies in Australia: The Australian Bat Lyssavirus